Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Kentucky Derby Party


 I just had to share this AMAZING Derby Party that
one of my dear mama-friend's planned for our play group!


Johnny and I have never attended a Derby party, 
so I was most excited to play dress up!

My hat was just a simple black and white sun hat (I know, not the Derby standard) but I liked the size and thought the style and colors would look great with one of my pre-pregnancy dresses that I could finally squeeze back into! To embellish, I put hot pink daisies around the hat and wore a hot pink shaw to match!



The Party Details...


Welcome Derby Fans! 
The house was full of red roses!

Ashley chose black, white and red as her primary 'Derby Colors'!
I loved the pom poms hanging from the ceiling and the wrapping on the walls!
(which I heard was table cloth; cute & clever!)


The Good Stuff
Ashley made homemade "Derby" pie and banana pudding! 
Which, by the way, was the best banana pudding I have ever had!

I also loved the black and red feathers hanging from her kitchen chandelier..


The Buffet

 Ashley made sure she treated her guests to a true authentic Kentucky meal! Her menu consisted of mutton, turkey and ham mini sandwiches, burgoo, fruit kabobs, coleslaw and hash brown casserole! 
Mmm Mmm Mmm!

Staying in theme, Ashley's husband, "Bartender Dan," 
whipped up Mint Juleps for everyone! (of course!)


The Little Jockey Station
Ashley did not leave any one out and her toddler station was a hit with our little jockeys! 
She had sweet and salty treats for them (which they quickly helped themselves to) 
along with sidewalk chalk for play!

Each kiddo went home with their very own little jockey hat and mini horse! 
~Loved this~


Giveaways
The mamas and the papas each got to go home with an authentic 
2010 Kentucky Derby glass and chocolate bourbon ball!


Go! Go! Go!

Ashley was thoughtful enough to let us draw names so that we would each have a horse to root for! 
I am pretty sure no one had actually done their homework, so this was a hit! 
Even the little ones seemed enthusiastic to cheer their horses on! 

The big winner received the movie, Seabiscuit! (aww!)


and finally..


Party Pics!

The papas and the mamas




Johnny, me and the boys 
(We had so much fun!!)



Ashley (the hostess with the mostess) and Me!



Bartender Dan mixing up Mint Juleps!



Some of the Little Jockey's!

** ** **
Be sure to visit Ashley's blog to see MANY more pictures and party details!

** ** **

1 comment:

  1. Awww, totally made my night with this post!! You're so, so, so sweet!! And you were the perfect Southern Lady with your lovely dress and fabulous Derby hat! Not to mention all those handsome boys you brought along with you too! ;)

    P.S. The gorgeous roses you brought lasted over a WEEK. I think that's a rose record. They made me smile every time I looked at them. You are the best...hands down, the BEST! :)

    ReplyDelete